St Petersburg TMJ Pain Management
Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) pain is characterized discomfort in the joint that connects the jawbone to the skull, as well as the surrounding muscles and tissues. There are several St Petersburg TMJ pain management strategies you can use to manage your symptoms and improve your quality of life. The professionals with the PRECiDENT Center for Facial and Dental Medicine have some tips for TMJ pain management in St Petersburg FL.
- Apply heat or cold: Applying heat or cold to the affected area can help with St Petersburg TMJ pain management. You can use a hot or cold compress, depending on which feels more soothing to you. Simply wrap a towel or cloth around the compress and apply it to the jaw area for 10-15 minutes at a time, several times a day.
- Practice relaxation techniques: Stress and tension can exacerbate TMJ pain, so practicing relaxation techniques like deep breathing, meditation, or yoga can help with TMJ pain management in St Petersburg FL. These techniques can also help improve your overall well-being and reduce your stress levels.
- Massage the jaw muscles: This form of TMJ pain management in St Petersburg FL can help relieve tension and improve circulation to the affected area. Gently massage the muscles with your fingertips, using circular motions and light pressure. You can also use a warm, damp cloth to apply gentle pressure to the area.
- Avoid hard, crunchy, or chewy foods: Eating foods that require a lot of chewing can aggravate TMJ pain. Instead, opt for softer, easier-to-chew foods like soup, cooked vegetables, and mashed potatoes. Avoid hard, crunchy, or chewy foods like nuts, popcorn, and gum.
- Practice good posture: Poor posture can put strain on the jaw and neck muscles, exacerbating TMJ pain. Practice good posture by keeping your head and neck aligned with your spine, and avoid hunching or slouching.
- Use over-the-counter pain medications: Over-the-counter pain medications like ibuprofen or acetaminophen can help reduce pain and inflammation associated with TMJ pain. Be sure to follow the recommended dosage and talk to your doctor if you have any concerns.
If you’re still having issues, speak with a PRECiDENT expert in St Petersburg TMJ pain management. Call (479) 755-3000 or use our online contact form to get in touch.